Friday, January 25, 2008

Rectification???

More incredible news from the world of academia from your undercover, albeit aged, reporter! In my history class yesterday we had a discussion about a book we were assigned to read. It was a 350-page treatise on the American government's attempt to educate, and so "civilize" (quotation marks are the author's) the conquered Native Americans in the late 1800s. We all agreed that the author was obviously biased against this effort (secretly I thought he used the issue as a platform to bash America) and we all enjoyed reading the book (I did like it apart from all the silliness). But here's the incredible news. The teacher and students took it for granted that it's okay -- no, RIGHT, to exaggerate, no, LIE, in order to clean up, or rectify, all the "garbage" (quotations marks mine) that has been touted as truth in the past. The teacher explained it to us by using a few metaphors. If a piece of steel is bent the wrong way, you have to bend it way past its correct shape to balance it out so it can someday return to its correct shape. And then there was the driving in snow metaphor. When you're sliding you have to sharply overcorrect so that the car comes to straighten itself out. Hmm. As far as I know, both these metaphors sound kooky. That's not how steel behaves. You have to pound it out right, not bend it equally wrong. And that's not how to get your car to go straight. In fact, you have to steer not in the opposite direction but in the direction you're sliding in order to straighten it out. But I suppose my professor thought he sounded clever. As I said, the whole exercise was to show that because White Anglo-Saxon Protestant males wrote so much biased history, today's enlightened intelligentsia has the duty to overcorrect it through any means they deem necessary, such as more (and even worse?) lies and exaggerations. He introduced this whole idea by referring to a "lesbian" woman (quote marks mine) who refuted WASP male history of the wild west by writing an extremely graphic lesbian version. (The work is not worth mentioning by name.) Of course it's all crazy and exaggerated, admitted my prof.. "but this is what is necessary in order to train us to think fairly." Scary.

I was also told that among the scholarly elite it is considered perfectly fine to write inflammatory books for the sole purpose of making a name for yourself, in fact it's the only way. In other words, for these people lying helps everybody; it's necessary for the greater good and beneficial for certain "important" individuals. At least among themselves, liberals admit it: they like lying. Depending on your point of view, two wrongs can make a right.

And that's not all. I was also taught that Harriet Beecher Stowe's Uncle Tom's Cabin ("Have you read it, Janice?" ) was THE EXACT SAME as history books. Apparently, it doesn't matter that Stowe's attempt to call attention to a social ill was FICTION, as in a work of art, while scholarly works are NONFICTION, which supposedly include credible citations to back up facts. It's incredible. These people cannot tell fact from fiction.

We had to write a paper on the book. I tried to do the assignment correctly while keeping a semblance of true principles intact, at least between the lines. Wonder what I'll get . . .

8 comments:

Cami said...

I think that professor is pretty insane. I don't understand a history professor that says lying about history is A-OK. It's crazy, I tell you! CRAZY! And also the fiction is the same as non-fiction thing. What is the "non" for then? I'm confused. Maybe I should tell him I'm offended by his comments and that he's looking at history from a idiot-centric point of view.

Cami said...

Now let's gently move on . . .

Unknown said...

Iyiyi. The schools are infested with political correctness and cultural re-engineers.

Lili and Jeff said...

Doesn't it comfort you, though, to know that you are totally immune to the ridiculousness that is the teaching? Well, you are learning things, but you don't just brainlessly suck everything like people like to do. Also, no matter what you believe, you are totally going to ace every test! You are one of the best students ever!

scott said...

Welcome to modern academia. Are all the classes like this? If so, where is one to learn the truth? Hang in there. This is not entirely new. One speech professor I had at Cal was talking about what is true and chose to use the Bible as an example. He said if you can prove that God created Adam out of a lump of mud then I will believe it. I asked him where it said that in the Bible. He said, in Genesis. Next class period he admitted he was wrong but never would call on me for the rest of the semester!

melody said...

Oh brother. Good thing you have a good head on your shoulders in these classes. I just worry for the other students.

Now, onto more positive things. When are you going to do that courtship tag about when you met Dad and all that stuff??? We would all love to read it! See most any of your daughters' blogs to find the questions.

Amber said...

I think college has gotten worse since I was there. Yikes, who do these professors think they are? Their class is not a personal soap box!

Soozcat said...

Hello! Just stopped by your blog and had a little something to add to this entry.

The other problem with such "revisionist histories" is that your professor (and clearly a lot of other educators) assumed that today's students have already read the earlier, flawed, politically-incorrect versions of history that required such overcorrection (aka lying) to fix. In reality, most of today's students have read ONLY the revisionist forms of history if they've studied history at all. They take it for granted that European settlers gave Native Americans blankets deliberately tainted with smallpox (untrue), that the English taught Native tribes the questionable art of scalping (untrue), and that the Founding Fathers were all hypocrites whose ideas didn't deserve a second glance because some of them owned slaves (ah, where do I begin...). Far from straightening out the steel rod, they're warping and twisting it--quite possibly beyond repair in some cases--by failing to report, as clearly and honestly as possible, what really happened and why.