Sunday, January 6, 2008

Well Read???

Didi commented that we are "well read." Not! Besides having barely scratched the surface of a world full of books, C. S. Lewis said if you've only read a great book once you haven't really read it. So I figure we are just beginning our reading journey. Even a lifetime reading plan (which Cami and my mother and I have embarked on) would only scratch the surface. We will not come out of it well-read, but we can hope we will come out of it a little "less confused." At this point that sounds pretty good to me.

BTW, it took me several weeks (during the busy Christmas season) but I did finish Anna Karenina. It was EXcellent. People say Tolsoy was primarily a Big Intellectual, and its true that he delved fearlessly into the dark corners of human nature, but I think they are wrong about him overall. I think he was primarily a deeply religious man. He had to have been to have written the way he did about good and evil, and especially to have written that last chapter. It illustrates the quiet but unmistakable and glorious spiritual conversion of one of the main characters. We are in the middle of watching the Masterpiece Theater 10-episode adaptation which people say is the best (of many). So far I like it very much. But I wonder if or how they will depict the ending -- my favorite part . . .

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I have been enjoying the video version of ANNA, and am anxious to see how she and the others turn out.

Cami said...

Yes, we are setting out to be less stupid then we are, is how I think we put it. I will someday read Anna K, when my brain works again and I have some breaks from my 3 book clubs!!

Matt said...

I have to disagree. People obviously don't read as much as they used to. A sad shame. Perhaps no one will ever be well read again? We'll have to lower the bar a bit. Compared to any I know, or will ever know...You and Cami are well read.

melody said...

Well said, Matty. Either way you look at it, I admire you for your desire to learn. I grew up loving books, thanks to you. Our diverse and ever-growing home library was always a treasure to me. I hope to have one like it someday. Until then, I will just have to borrow books from you!

Lili and Jeff said...

I am so happy you read this, it gave you and Jeff so much to talk about! Plus you ended up loving it. Hooray for Russian Lit!

Janice Graham said...

For anyone out there passing by, the series completely left out the uplifting and glorious ending!!!! Instead it ended abruptly in the worse more horrible part. Too bad. I'm pretty sure Tolstoy meant it to be included!