Monday, January 21, 2008

My Home Sweet Home

Crisis! College professors are crazy! Yes, on my fifth day of returning to school after all these years, I was initiated into anti-American propaganda! BIG TIME. Cases in point:

1. "So, let's be democratic about it," says my "AMERICAN" prof. "Let's take a vote. How many of you would be comfortable with the Mexican flag being flown above the American flag?" (Three hands). "How many with the American flag above the Mexican flag?" (All remaining hands but mine. I was waiting for the vote for the American flag flying BY ITSELF, since this is AMERICA. And this was my literature class. These poor kids are already conditioned!)

2. In History class a kid innocently asks if the Native American Indians might have been better off from something the whites tried to teach them (I can't remember the details), whereupon the "AMERICAN" prof. stops everything and slowly and a bit menacingly says (and I wrote it down word for word because I couldn't believe what I was hearing), "I am uncomfortable with that statement. Your statement is very Anglo-centric. You're defining better by your cultural terms." The class giggles knowingly.

All I can say is . . . the words of a song I learned in kindergarten.
God bless America. Land that I love.
Stand beside her and guide her
Through the night with the light from above.
From the mountains, to the prairies,
To the oceans white with foam --
God bless America, my HOME SWEET HOME.

Man, we need His help.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Those teachers ARE crazy, and filled with animosity for this great country. You are in the right thinking they are off base. Heaven help us. Today's kids are getting it big time from the educational system. Something must be done . . .

Cami said...

Yes, it's a little crazy that the history professor acted that way. I mean, aren't we supposed to DISCUSS differing viewpoints at least, not just ridicule and avoid? It's very strange. I'm sure you can get through all this with your patriotism intact. Hang in there!

Matt said...

It's probably true that academia has never been part of America.

melody said...

Sad, sad. This is a serious problem. I know, let's watch a good patriotic black and white for the next movie night. We recently loved Mr. Smith goes to Washington. I know you'd love to watch Born Yesterday.