
So I had a little disillusionment at school today. In my
English class I learned that my new hero Booker T. Washington was a shrewd and conniving fundraiser rather than a noble and inspired man fearless in the cause of truth. And to think that as I feasted on his marvelous Up From Slavery I thought he was actually sincere. Then in my history class I learned that the reason Native Americans have had such a hard time assimilating is because they lived in a round world (i.e. teepees and "the sacred hoop") and the white man's world is square ("Just look around you at this classroom!"). I'm finding that a little hard to swallow.I guess I am having my first small tastes of revisionism and multi-culturalism. (I already had some atheism in my astronomy class, but I seemed to expect that.) I hope I can stand it. There's so much real stuff to take in. Onward!
5 comments:
Hey, believe in him if you want to. Who believes everything a teacher tells them? I had a professor tell me once, after reading "A Room of One's Own" by Virginia Woolf, about how it's exactly the same now for women--we are all just as oppressed, bla bla bla. And here I was thinking how far we'd come. I mean, she couldn't even go in the library without an escort! But whatever. They'll find what they want to find in anything.
Cami, I'm glad to hear young people don't automatically believe everything their teacher tells them. At least you didn't!
Yep. The fact that they're calling them "Native Americans" instead of Indians says where we are in the conditioning culture. And I bet your teacher calls black people "African Americans." It is ok to speak up in favor of the truth. But, yes, we have heard from Sean Hannity, Rush, Glenn, and all the rest on the liberal agenda being taught in our universities.
Lots of teachers are just full of crap at UVU. That is why I bring my lap top and read and write emails all day, and pay attention just enough to do the homework. It has worked for me. The teachers at UVSC can be rather idiotic.
Oh man, I thought I would throw up everyday in my Multicultral education class. What a bunch of PC crap. Excuse my language, but I needed a strong word to describe! Sometimes we just have to hang in there in college, and think about the end result!!
Post a Comment