Thursday, February 8, 2007

What's your reading speed?


Stephen had a tax appointment tonight so I decided to start reading our online book group book for this month. He was gone for a long time so I kept reading. It was pretty light and easy to read and I wasn't really loving it so I wondered if I could finish it in one sitting. I finished it just now -- 300-pages in about 5 hours straight. Didn't stop to underline anything. That's about a page a minute which seems too slow, at least for a lightish book. What's your speed? Any tips on reading faster besides taking a speed reading course? I know I subvocalize a lot. When I try not to, I go faster, but then I forget.

5 comments:

Cami said...

I'm about that speed probably. Some books are faster than others. But I decided I LIKE to subvocalize. I just get the language more if I do.

Matt said...

I'd say I read about that fast too, but not that consistently. I'm not sure when the last time I sat down for more than an hour at a time and read was. So, it takes me a month or longer to finish a book.

mylittlegems said...

that's fast... after teaching and reading for so long, I don't do it so much now--- I will get back to it- it is not the season in my life for it now :)

Unknown said...

How can you do that? I mean, that is fast reading, but spending that long in one position? I yi yi.

Amber said...

My speed is SLOW! I think that is why I don't read very much. Todd is the fastest reader I have ever met. He reads aloud faster than I read silently. That is probably why he gets so much reading done in the bathroom!