Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Drew's News

Drew's latest letter was so cheering and good I thought I'd share a bit of it. I don't know how common it is to write home and tell your mom things you are learning from your companions. But here it is:

Elder Hood and I are getting along pretty well. He's pretty funny and like I'm sure I've said before, "cool," so it's a good mix between us (I mean, I guess I'm "cool, " but in different ways). It's weird, he's bringing out in me some parts that are either dormant or non-existent, like, parts that "like" to play basketball and parts that "want" to exercise and work out. It's weird, kind of nice, but i'm not quite sure what to make of it. I have to keep a balance, a perspective, but I guess I'm realizing what I've learned from every companion. With Nelson it was patience, with Andrews it was adapting, with Herrin it was survival, knowing when to keep quiet, with Harper it was love of the people and culture and language, with Hood it's how to have "fun" and be "a man" ( in the societal, traditional sense of the word), with Sell, it was the difference between hard work and busy work, and don't even get me started on Johns! It's weird to realize these are the memoires that everyone talks about when they get home. I can't believe it's happening to me. I'm actually creating my own mission memories.


Gotta love Drew. Focusing on the good in people and being open to learning new things is a wonderful, humble quality.

10 comments:

Emily said...

Oh Drew! I miss him so much. Maybe KC and I will take a secret road trip to visit him. The people look so sweet, and I'm glad he's admitting to learning from these younger boys. It's almost been one year!

melody said...

Thanks for posting that, Mom. What a great experience Drew is having. He is such an example to all of us.

Cami said...

Thank you for the update. I forgot about Drew for a while there. I found a picture of him on my computer and said, "WHAT! Who's THAT???" So hooray. Ever since Lili left, I've been totally out of the loop.

Corinne said...

What an introspective letter! I loved reading it and hearing about the perspective he is getting. Fantastic!!

scott said...

Jan your email about my correspondence with Drew mentioned your Blog and the fact I have not looked at it for awhile. It is great. Drew is such a great example of the fact that we are the masters of our fate and the captains of our soul. What great parents you have been - to help him affirm that instead of bemoaning his conduct while believing that nothing could be done about it as many parents do in this age of unbelief. I won't comment now on all your Posts but note they are thoughtful and aesthetic.

Matt said...

Andy has a rare talent of writing the exact way that he talks. I can hear him saying those things, and see the gestures he'd make while he did.

Insightful dude.

Huzzah for happy mission letters!

melody said...

Hey Mom, you posted a photo! Great job, I know you've been wanting to learn how!

Lili and Jeff said...

I heart Drew. A lot. I got a glorious 12k email from him just today. I LOVE it. I can't believe it has almost been a whole year!!! We need to start on a birthday package straight away!

Janice Graham said...

I'm issues home hutch

Sarah said...

I think you guys should do a Drew blog and then you can post snit-bits of the letters you get, pictures he sends (and draws), etc.