Saturday, January 13, 2007

Of Books and Nooks

Now about the online book group, The Sequestered Nook (see link on this blog), as in Longfellow's lines:

The love of learning, the sequestered nooks
And all the sweet serenity of books

If you are a book lover, that's enough right there to warm your heart. I'm finding this a fun way to broaden my horizons and discuss books with a lot of other people. Plus I can participate at my convienience and nobody interrupts anybody else! Because of the nook I was introduced to the genius of Faulkner, inhaled Marilyn Robinson's transcendent Gilead (I underlined on practically every page), and just finished our January pick, RLS's glowing Treasure Island, which I had never read probably because I saw the Disney movie as a child. Just yesterday my granddaughter Katy (9) who is reading A Series of Unfortunate Events wisely said, "I didn't like the first ones as well because I saw the movie. But I like the next ones! You should always read the book before you see the movie."

So we'll soon be having a rollicking discussion about TI (ooh that Long John Silver is a sly one). In fact, on the Nook you can discuss any book and even play bookishy games. Cami and I have been playing bookishy games over the phone for years, such as one person reads the first line of a book and the other has to guess what it is. Or name all the novels you can that are written in first person. Or name books made exclusively of letters (the postal kind).

It's all as mentally stimulating as a stiff sea breeze.

3 comments:

Cami said...

Great post! I love the nook. You did pictures!!!! AND added a quote! You're doing GREAT on the blogger!

mylittlegems said...

It is great to have such wonderful examples of readers! Reading is so important. I have tons of books within Landon's reach all over the house, and I will often find him reading on his own (even my magazines) or he will bring books to us and want us to read them to him. I know this is all normal, but I hope I can raise kids that love to read and love books! I'm working on being a better example of being a reader myself. In fact, I started reading the book THE GIVER, and Aaron was reading it over my shoulder, and he was so interested, that he starting reading the book- and I just GAVE it to him and said I'll read it when he is done. He is a big reader. Anyway happy reading! Sharla

Unknown said...

I am very impressed with your posts and the items you have added to your blog. It is a great way to share insights and feelings, which you are doing so well. Keep up this excellent work.