
Inspired by those of you who have done this, I am going to try to write the 100 random things about myself list.
1. Early morning is my favorite time of day but I totally miss it quite often. I love sunrises.
2. My kids (and their spouses) are my best friends now that they are grown.
3. I taught my own kids piano which is one of the many things that makes #2 a miracle.
4. I love love love old movies.
5.I knew this girl in junior high who could draw people with perfectly shaped arms and legs and I always wished I could draw like her.
6. I didn't enjoy cooking or housework until my children were grown up.
7. I love good books, especially classics. I've found they are classics for a reason.
8. I never neglected to say my prayers until I had twins.
9. Life with my husband is mostly like living in a romantic comedy.
10. I like my husband's hair longishy so it curls. I am his barber. Sometimes when he asks me for a haircut I say no.
11. My favorite Beatle is George Harrison. I think he loved the Lord.
12. About 7 years ago, kicking and screaming I got scuba certified. Then, kicking and screaming I swam with 8-foot Carribean reef sharks (I was always terrified of sharks). I'm glad I did.
13. Usually if I don't absolutely have to go somewhere I stay home. I have to force myself to get out of the house.
14. I can write for hours and not even realize that time has gone by.
15. Sometimes I catch myself mentally typing out the words of my thoughts.
16. I have a goal to make all my kids watch an old movie called "Born Yesterday" with Judy Holiday. Regularly. Have you seen it yet Elise?
17. I have a passion for truth. I find eternal truths practically everywhere.
18. The first home I remember is Guam. We moved there when I was 15 months old and stayed for 5 years (that time). My first memories are heat rash on my neck and hearing drums in the night. (My mom says it was probably the Samoan neighbor's parties where we lived when I was not yet 2.)
19. Sometimes I make jokes and my kids don't get them and think I'm really that dumb.
20. Once I wore two different shoes to a meeting.
21. I used to sew practically all my kids clothes. Now I can't stand to sew anything.
22. I learned to swim in the ocean. Age 3 or 4.
23. My favorite authors are C. S. Lewis, Charlotte Bronte, and I guess Charles Dickens. There are so many to choose from.
24. When I was around 8 my dad took me to a home furnishings store and let me pick out my own carpet, wallpaper and furniture for my room. I chose an tropical sea-colored carpet, the same color wallpaper with little house scenes on it, and a maple canopy bed, desk, and dresser.
25. I loved The Monkees TV show when I was 12. But I had to miss it a lot because of Family Night. Oh, I was so disappointed when I heard that bell ring when they were just starting to sing, "Hey, hey we're the Monkees!"
26. I hate to shop for clothes but I really like to have exactly the right clothes.
27. For about 2 months I have been going to the gym. I run, bike, and swim for about 20-30 mintutes each. For twenty years I ran on the roads. The gym is more private but I sometimes miss being outdoors. I hope I'm getting a better workout.
28. I recently had a kidney stone. It hurt worse than childbirth. Except Matt and Drew.
29. I used to write stories for children's magazines. I still get an occasional check in the mail for resales to state standardized tests.
30. For three years around the early 90's I wrote and took photos for a local newspaper. Once I figured I got paid about a dollar an hour.
31. I like Rocky Balboa.
32. I have always been very grateful for a washer and drier.
33. I love sitting in the hot tub but I don't like it too hot so I can stay in it a long time.
34. I take baths, not showers, just like Grandma B always told me to.
35. I love bicycle riding. My husband and I got some good bikes a few years ago. I want to take a tour of the country with my husband and ride scenic bike trails.
36. I hate to drive. My husband spoils me by driving me places a lot.
37. I had a terrible crush on Kurt Russell when I was 12 or so when he was a brand new kid movie star in the movie "Follow Me Boys."
38. I started writing in journals when I was 11. I called them my secret books. Writing is a blessing for me. It's theraputic.
39. I've been in a few plays. Whenever the curtain goes up for the first time I want to laugh really bad. I'm terrible at acting. I had to be in a stake video once. My kids make fun of my line, "Salt, salt, salt."
40. I love the scriptures. They speak to me.
41. I entered a magazine essay contest once and won a trip to New York City and a make-over.
42. My favorite articles of clothing are skirts and jackets and shoes.
43. I wish I had treated my twins, Emily and Melody (and each of my kids) more like separate individuals. I do now.
44. It wasn't until I was around 45-50 or that I started to know and like myself.
45. I try to get all my feelings of high self worth from spiritual sources.
46. My kids make me laugh a lot.
47. I adore all my kids.
48. And grandkids.
49. And in-law kids. (I know, I cheated.)
50. I had a crush on a really popular boy since 6th grade and when I was a junior in high school he called up and asked me on a formal date at the last minute because his girlfriend was sick. I had to wear my sister's homecoming queen gown and a snobby girl at the party asked, "Isn't that the dress your sister wore . . . " The popular boy turned out to be quite ordinary.
51. I had the choice of being thrown in a pool or getting my first kiss. I chose the kiss.
52. I had my heart broken pretty badly when I was 16. So my dad let me go Hawaii to live with some friends for a month in the summer on our way to Guam where I lived in my senior year. I had a surfing lesson.
53. Trying to make the best of things, I ran for senior class president on Guam and lost. My dad said I was a dark horse candidate.
54.When I was a kid I wanted to grow up to be a veterinarian.
55. My parents let me have any kind of pet I wanted, including ducks and monkeys.
56. One of my favorite movie quotes is from KPAX: "Your task is to stay and be prepared for anything."
57. I want to fight evil.
58. I like the yolk best. My dad and I used to trade.
59. My most unfavorite Christmas song is the Carol of the Bells because I had to play it hundreds of times on the piano for the choir class on Guam and they were very out of tune!
60. We also lived on Guam when I was in ninth grade. I was head cheerleader and actually learned to do the splits - well, pretty close. That was a first and last.
61. In tenth grade (back in Piedmont) I tried out for cheerleader and made it through the first eliminations and then lost. I had never tried so hard at anything. I ran to the bathroom and cried when the cheerleaders wore their purple and white outfits to school the first time.
62. We had to wear uniforms to school at Piedmont Jr. High and High School. We all rolled up our ugly pleated skirts (black or white) and wore them pretty short.
63. I played the cello in the school orchestra and always wished I could be in the plays instead.
64. I was on the swim team for a year. Back stroke was my best.
65. My dad gave me a bright green VW bug when I was a senior on Guam.
66. I'm bad a math but recently I wish I wasn't because I love the whole idea of it. Right and wrong, absolutes, and all.
67. The main reason I go to movie theaters is the popcorn. I use no self control.
68. I love candy. My favorites are See's maple walnut and anything chocolate marshmellow.
69. In college I beat a date at ping pong and he never asked me out again.
70. I wanted to make sure all my kids could swim. I drove them to early morning swim team for years and years.
69. My favorite play is Man of La Mancha.
70. My mom is another of my best friends, long before my kids were. My dad always says we talk too long on the phone. We have also been writing old-fashioned letters for years and I've kept them in big binders. Whose turn is it, Mom?
71. I wish I could read faster but I don't want to miss anything. I read with a pen so I can underline and write notes in the book.
72. I want to read and reread every good book.
73. I have occasionally recurring dreams. They are about houses with endless rooms and flying.
74. I'm trying to make my house (and my soul) more vibrant, textured, and warm.
75. I enjoy hiking. There are some great trails up American Fork canyon close to where we live.
76. I don't enjoy skiing. For one thing, I never have the right clothes.
77. I have unspeakable admiration and gratitude for my parents. They were the best parents possible.
78. Every one of my seven children absolutely delights and amazes me. This is not the same as #2 or #47-49.
79. I cherish the company of my adorable husband. After 33 years I'm still learning from him.
80. I sleep with a fan blowing on me.
81. There are a dozen books I'd like to write. I've started several.
82. I like this saying, "I don't worry about anything and I pray about everything."
83. I think we should all listen to what Hugh Nibley said. I suggest a great video called "Faith of An Observer."
84. Am I the only person who doesn't love love love cruises?
85. I really really want to move out of Utah.
86. I would rather take a road trip than fly.
87. My favorite joke is the one about the the man asking the horse, "Why the long face?"
88. If I get laughing too hard I experience dangerous biological difficulties. It's always been that way. Ask Amber.
89. If I could live anywhere I would choose an airy beach house. My second choice would be a sprawling ranch house with horses even though I don't know much about horses.
90. I like impressionist art best.
91. I love to dance with my husband in the kitchen and sing with my daughers around the piano.
92. My ideal vacation is lying on the beach.
93. I have frequent anxiety attacks but I've learned they are hormonal and pass quickly.
94. I like learning about history and geography.
95. I love the song from the musical Candide that says, "We're neither wise nor pure nor good. We'll do the best we know. We'll build a house and chop our wood and make our garden grow." Go ahead, Cami, sing it.
96. Another favorite movie line(s) is from "The African Queen":
"Why, that's impossible!"
"Never. . . theless."
97. I think humility is as huge as the universe.
98. I enjoy the company and conversation of sincere and intelligent friends.
99. I like to think for myself.
100. Like Thomas Jefferson, "I have sworn on the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
14 comments:
I read it all and wish I knew this much about my own family members (and parents). It helps to share yourself with others- it builds good relationships so thanks for sharing yourself with us. Everyone should be this secure to share with loved ones. I don't love criuses either- even though I've only been on a few boats and a day trip from FL to Bahamas- but it made me seasick enough....and also moving out of UT is a good thing. I think it would benefit everyone to spend more time out of UT when they are younger. But also I love UT and think it is a great place. It does a soul lots of good to get away from it though. love you
Great list Mom! It's so poetic and fun to read.
We don't love love Cruises either, at least we don't love long cruises. More than one day at sea is too many days at sea. Cortnie is afraid Jackenstein will fall (read: jump) off the boat.
I haven't seen that movie yet. I will watch it.
I wish I put #77 in my list.
I also sleep with a fan blowing on me, except during the winter. I love feet out as well. I always have the AC on in the car. I sweat like madness.
I love the stories snippets you wrote about you and your parents. Especially the one about you trading your dad for yolk/albumen.
MMMMMaaaattttt, that's so sweet. Love you.
LOVE the list! I laughed quite a bit. Thanks for doing it.
And I totally agree with you about the ski clothes. I think I would have done it more often if I'd had the right clothes. It was always such a trauma to find the right thing, and so miserable if you didn't.
Your list was great and very easy to read. I may need to shorten the 65 I have done so far on mine. We have the same favorite vacation! And yes, I know all about your laughing problems. Sometimes I think about those times and cant stop laughing. Also, I didn't realize that so many of your early years were on Guam.
Matt-I like my feet out too!
#101 - "I hoped Jonny would be my son-in-law from the first time i saw his shining white teeth and 'sports car' that night at wingers."
Great list ma. I love this. A very neat way to learn a lot about someone.
I gotta confess (lucky for me) that i knew most all of these things. What with everyone doing this, I probably will have to do it as well. Only--where would I post it??? . . .Hmmm.
Thanks for the exceptional reading material to go with my orange juice and english muffin breakfast! I think these lists are the greatest. I love learning new things about my best friends. You know, Mom, we have a lot in common. Jonny says that often (usually after I let out a little scream)and after reading your list, I must happily agree!
I loved this too. So much to learn about our loved ones. I want to be as smart as you when I grow up. Mela, I think I'm like mom too. Funny, since we're all so different. I let out those little screams and can't believe how much I remind myself of mom. Love you mom.
Dad! Let's have YOUR blog. Or you could just be a guest on Jan's Journal.
Wow, mom. Good accomplishments on your top 100. A few notes.. Yes I have seen born yesteryday, (BILLY!) You were spoiled as a child (your own carpet?? A GREEN BUG?!) And I am glad you consider us your BFFs, because we love that you and dad are our BFFs as well. You guys were some of my best friends in high school, and still today. I would never keep anything from you, and you guys always have the best advice.
Aunt Jan! I love your list and learning more about you! You have always been someone I really admired and this list just enforces it!
Post a Comment