Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Listlessness

Okay, so I ate a lot of granola yesterday and in the night I woke up with some sort of low-grade flu -- just achy and nauseating bumble bees in the head. So now I may not be wanting to eat granola ever again. I stayed in bed reading and sleeping a lot of the day except I went to a Relief Society luncheon to play the opening hymn and hear the speaker (George Durrant-- he was funny) but didn't stay for the lunch -ew. It was about writing your personal history. I learned:

Don't make it long because no one will read it.
Write about feelings. Use a stream of consciousness technique.
Don't worry about details like exact dates or chronological order.
If it makes it easier, write in sections, like childhood, school days, marriage, etc.
Include funny stories.
If anyone takes the time to read it, they should get something meaningful, something real, the good and bad, so they can relate.
Write your testimony.

Come to think of it, I think Cami's blog she wrote today -- her 100 things about herself list -- is a great, succinct, mini-personal history. Honest, and funny, too. You really get to know her. It covers everything! Lists are about the easiest thing to write. Why not? I'll try it.

4 comments:

Cami said...

LISTS are going to be this month's GJ assignment! I think they're great. Are you going to do the 100?

Jonny said...

If the granola made you sickly, i know a son-in-law that could take it off your hands ;)

mylittlegems said...

I'm wrting a "100" in my giant journal. It is harder than I thought. I'm only up to 50.
sharla

Unknown said...

Sounds like fun. I guess I will give it a try.