Sunday, July 15, 2007

Forget Road Rage, Try Movie Rage!

I guess I'll blog about it. We were sitting in the Harry Potter movie and all of a sudden there's this man standing in the aisle yelling at some kids down the row from us. Then he grabs a girl's arm and there's sort of a scuffle. I was on my feet ready to dive into it (which surprised me because I have such slow reflexes usually) as were several others. And all the while we're all sitting in this dark room with this movie playing on this huge screen. It was so surreal. Dad and I thought it was a domestic thing, like an estranged father coming to kidnap his daughter, but Amber and Matt and Lili said it was just another movie viewer who got mad at these kids who were throwing m&m's at them, a perfect stranger! So the man ran off and the girl started crying and climbed over the row to her mother. People got mad and yelled to be quiet and sit down and all that. But there was this poor child (about 12?) crying! I would have taken her out of the theater! Anyway, someone called 911. Matt went out and actually talked to the guy and told him he did the totally wrong thing. I thought this was so brave, or something, of Matt. I mean, the man was crazed. Anyway, the man just walked off and the mother was hysterical, and the police said she needed to calm down and she didn't so they dragged her off! Make of that what you will.

8 comments:

Cami said...

Sheesh!!! Now THAT is a serious story. I can't believe a guy would grab a girl when her mom was right there. Why not talk to her mom?? Crazy. I don't dare to yell at the people who make noise at the movies here--pretty scary dudes.

Emily said...

That is scary. I'm sure Lili was mad about the interruption. What a mean guy. I just don't get people sometimes. The annoying kids and the mean grownups.

Lili and Jeff said...

I was totally mad! Before he grabbed her, while he was just yelling, I yelled at him to take it outside!

melody said...

Julia and I watched the whole thing play out in the hallway from afar. Man, sad days when a guy will actually grab a little girl because he is annoyed during a movie. If I were the mom, I would have been quite upset myself. Yikes!

Matt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Matt said...

I was there you know... (Name that movie). When I talked to the perp, he reluctantly agreed with me that it was a dumb thing to do.

The sad ending was that the mother of the grabbee was hauled off by the cops for overreacting, while the perp and his pushy wife quietly slipped out of the theater.

Jonny said...

Um, i was angry at those in the back who were yelling "Shut up" and "Sit down."

How rude.

Amber said...

That was the weirdest thing. I guess that's what happens when you get out of Utah County. I makes men not want to ever let my kids go to a movie alone. What if THEY are the brats throwing stuff? Maybe after seeing that they won't be tempted to be reprobates. Plus you forgot to mention the break dancers on their lenoleum!