Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Worthy Jeanne d'Arc

So this month I picked the book for my online book group, that is I came up with three to vote on. The winner was Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc by Mark Twain, a little-known masterpiece. If you're interested in participating go to the Sequestered Nook (linked on my blog). We read for the first half of the month and then discuss the second half. I had to come up with some discussion questions -- which was much harder to do than I expected.

The French heroine was Mark Twain's favorite historical figure. He held unrestrained admiration for her noble character. He called her "the most innocent, the most lovely, the most adorable child the ages have produced." He said, "I like the Joan of Arc the best of all my books; and it is the best; I know it perfectly well. and besides, it furnished me seven times the pleasure afforded me by any of the others: 12 years of preparation and 2 years of writing. the others needed no preparation and got none."

2 comments:

Cami said...

Great pic! I'm excited to read it. Also, 2 blogs in one day??? I'm rather impressed.

bjensen said...

I have to say I really enjoyed this book. Joan became my heroine too and I believe she was sent as a symbol of Christ.