
When my mom says to go see a movie I know it's worth seeing. So we went to the theater Friday night to see Premonition. It was sold out. So we went to another theater and after standing in a long line, got in. It was definitely worth the trouble. It's a disturbing, hard-to-understand movie full of surreal, grotesque, and violent images and events, all set among ordinary people. I always worry about these types of movies because if they don't end up having any transcendent meaning I know I'm going to be very exhausted and disappointed. Well, it had meaning, thank goodness. I thought it was an excellent movie. Everything in it is necessary and all makes sense in the end. If you want to find the meaning, you can. It's all about human failings, divine grace, using personal agency against all odds, forgiveness, and repentance. Yay! (Flannery -- see 4 blogs down -- would approve.)
P.S. Dad, you won't like this movie! (See today's In My Humble Opinion, WSB on my links)
9 comments:
I was there and liked the movie, too, if "like" is the word. But it was thought-provoking and moving. We had a good discussion about principles and motives.
oooh, I just noticed the eyes in that picture. Hey, I heard this movie got bad reviews, but if you liked it, I'll have to give it a try. Jake will most likely wait until it comes on HDDVD or the like. I'm sure I'll have to explain it all to Jake, but that's ok.
I saw the preview and it scared me. I trust your judgement though. Maybe I'll watch it with Jake and Cami :)
you are right! I definitely would not like that movie the way you describe it. I cannot stand "horror" moveies or movies that try to scare me. I would rather be entertained. You have a great blog.
Yes, I am commenting again! The movie is getting iffy to bad reviews. And it is all because no one wants to get the message out of movies any more unless the message is perverse. Any message about the need to examine ourselves and our motives, any message that indicates we may need saving, any message that says we are responsible control our feelings and thought and desires and actions, those messages are missed by movie-goers who are not willing to think about what they just saw. All they want is uninvolved entertainment. It is a good, though difficult, movie.
no interest in that movie- but question- why am I not on your "links list" ?
This doesn't really have to do with your blog, but I just wanted to congratulate you. As I have read your children's blogs and seen their lives I think you must have raised them well. No, I know you raised them well. They are all happily married, having fun adventures, and accomplishing their dreams. I know you were a great mother... and a great sub-mom for me when my parents moved across the ocean. Congratulations to you and Bro. Graham for raising such a remarkable family.
no worries Aunt Jan :) I was just teasing...
I can't wait to see this one. It looks intense but not to horrorish-am I right? I might actually break down and go to the theater on this one!
Post a Comment