Thursday, March 22, 2007

Two Points

It happened in such a single perfectly smooth motion it was almost like poetry. Last night I was in the gym rest room before my workout. In the same split second three events occurred. I flushed the toilet, my newest perscription eye glasses fell out of my jacket pocket into the bowl like nothin'-but-net, and my eye glasses disappeared in a no-nonsense industrial-strength swoosh. It seemed there was nothing I could do. I admit there was enough time for the repugnant thought of putting my hand in the toilet to fish out the glasses to pass through my brain. But I don't think there was enough time to actually reach down and do it, which was actually a kind of relief.

Then I thought, what if there really was time, and it was just my hesitancy caused by ingrained squeamishness about reaching my hand into the toilet that resulted in the loss of the glasses? Excuse my overactive brain, but I think this shows that everything we do is influenced by a thought or attitude. I just read A Separate Peace on the plane home from Maryland and the violent act that occurred as the center of the plot, though not consciously decided upon, was the unconscious result of new suspicious and negative thoughts that the perpetrator had been focusing on immediately before. In a split second, everything changed because of the way the person had been thinking. (Read this excellent book if you want to find out what happened!) This is what we humans are made of. Our actions will reflect our character when we least expect it!

Bye-bye glasses.

6 comments:

Cami said...

Oh, that is a sad water story like unto mine. Too bad they flushed! Sheesh! What kind of toilets do you have that flush glasses??

Corinne said...

That is a powerful toilet. I loved the book too - one of the most thought-provoking I've read.

Emily said...

That is so crazy. I wouldn't reach in either. I can understand the little bit of relief you felt that you didn't have enough time. I like the picture of the doll. She looks a little like you.

melody said...

I'm sorry for your loss, but you must admit that it is all kind of funny. (I once dropped my new engagement ring, but didn't flush. If I had, your story may not be so funny - sorry!) Anyway, great connection to how we think and what we do.

Matt said...

Funny...I have been through a similar situation to this. I agree that our thoughts and attitudes dictate what we do. I have what I call a Scenario Manager in my brain in which I act out certain situations before they happen. I decide how I'd react if any number of things happens. Most of the time they're far fetched, but sometimes (like the time I mentioned above) they work out and work out well.

I used to teach my scouts about this kind of thing...like you teach all kids. "Decide beforehand what you'd do if..." Like that. I told them it was their response to a cry of "Battle Stations!". What do you do? Porn pops up on the computer. Battles Stations! You see a drowning kid. Battle Stations! Your specs fall in the toilet... Red Alert!

Anyway, sorry for the long wind. I've just added another entry in my Scenario Manager.

Amber said...

That is so annoying!!!