Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Once I Saw a Little Bird

This morning I was writing away in Drew's room, which is my office location of choice lately, when I heard some weird intermittent fluttering sounds in the living room. I walked in to find a bird perched on the lyre of the piano as if it belonged there. Seeing me, it panicked, flew to the west window bamming its head, to the ceiling fan, then over the attic bannister. I opened the sliding glass door, went upstairs to find it hopping around on the floor, and shooed it back over the bannister. It flew down and bammed hard into the west window again and disappeared. I thought it must have sustained a head injury, but found it hopping on the window sill behind the drape. In an attempt to show it the open door, I made large sweeping gestures with my arms in the direction of freedom and it wasn't a few seconds before the bird got the idea and swooped outward and upward, landing happily in the top of one of the nextdoor neighbor's trees.

Stay tuned for Part 2 when we figure out how in the world the bird got in! No doors or windows were open. I have only one theory . . .

9 comments:

Emily said...

What, no pictures? You have to start thinking like a blogger and be camera ready at all times. That is so funny. I would've been kindof scared it would poop on me or the furniture or something. I think I remember a bird in our house when I was younger too. They must like vaulted ceilings.

Janice Graham said...

You're right Mimi. I need to get going with a camera. It's been so long. All the digital stuff seems so complicated. But I'll make a point.

Matt said...

Very interesting indeed... Hmmm...

Good job with the opening and sweeping motions.

melody said...

Here's my theory. One of the Easter eggs you painted from Easter hatched. The dye probably retarded the final development of the bird's brain--thus the bird's not understanding your sign language suggesting he leave out the open window.

What is your theory, Mom?

melody said...

Actually, that was Jonny's comment.

Cami said...

I thought that was Jonny. Ha! So, I remember birds in our house (and once a bat) a couple times. I know how they get in for sure. They come in through the vacuum vent. I've seen it happen.

Amber said...

Once we had a bird in the rental house. We think it came in through the dryer vent or some kind of vent. I was afraid we would scare the poop out of the poor thing and I didn't want to clean that up!

bjensen said...

I'll bet it came through your chimney.Is that possible in your house? they did it in "The Birds"

Unknown said...

We still haven't figured out how he got in. But, it is an interesting comment on Heavenly Father's love for us and how he offers us help. There we are where we don't belong. He's trying to show us the way to safety. We are so blinded or proud or lacking understanding that we won't see He's trying to help. We fly around everywhere but the direction in which safety lies. Oh, the humanity . . .