So I didn't go to my 35th Piedmont High School reunion in the Bay Area this past weekend, which is really not the school I graduated from because we lived on Guam in my senior year (George Washington High), but I went to school in Piedmont from 1st to 11th grade (except for ninth when we were on Guam also -- Agat Jr. High). The Piedmont people have been very nice to include me on their list anyway. (I did go to the 20th.) One friend kindly emailed me with a full report and this photo which was really fun. All but a few of these people are very familiar to me and a few were some of my very best friends during my elementary, junior high, and high schools years. It's great to see them looking so well with smiles on their faces.But of course I begin to overanalyze. I find myself with all kinds of strange feelings and regrets. Blasts from the past do that to me. Even with all the advantages I had, growing up was painful for me like it is for everybody. Maybe I can express these feelings in a list. As the song says, "This is me in grade nine, baby, this is me in grade nine" (and ten, eleven . . . ) :
awkward, shy, and self-conscious -- to the point of pain
reluctant to grow up -- friends used force to pluck my eyebrows
more of a spectator than a participant -- in the orchestra instead of trying out for the play
huge long crush on a guy completely out of my league -- had one flukey date with him!
highly introspective -- wrote everything down in tiny diaries
very hard on myself -- which lasted until I was in my forties
terribly prudish -- in English class I got excused from reading Catcher in the Rye!
I have to say, though, that I had a separate identity in the society of my church friends who were a fun group of kids who went to several different schools. At church activities I was bubbly and pretty confident. It was there I was the star of a play, danced every dance, and got boyfriends. Come to think of it, on Guam I was a cheerleader and ran for class pres. Go figure. Split personality? Maybe it just depended on my comfort zones -- I felt more comfortable with church friends. I think because of that I didn't enjoy school and school friends like I could have. My loss!
Who else wants to do a "this is me is grade nine list?" or is it out of your comfort zone?
7 comments:
I for one am glad I met the happy, outgoing, bright Janice at BYU. And the rest, as they say, is history. We have been phenominally happy, and have raised a family who loves and gets along with each other.
Never been to any reunions.
As to "me in grade nine",
Short and skinny--never to be tall.
A little insecure--thought others did things better than me.
Only average grades--learned to study in time for 2nd college year.
Happy at home--two nice sisters and funny little brother.
Three Adventuresome Boys--Me, Craig and Andrew. Private club.
Restricted at home--Daddy's word was law. No discussing.
Encouraged to try new things--as long as they met Daddy's approval.
Lots of travel--all summer every summer from '63 to '69. I enjoyed it, but never had a job, except in '68 when I stayed with Grandmommy.
Oooh, I'll do it. That was fun and sadish. I've been rethinking all my stupidities today. No fun. Actually, grade 9 was a bad one for me . . . maybe I shouldn't do it . . .
I wonder if I could remember anything about me from 9th grade. I probably have some pictures I could dig up. Hmmm...
Mum, I think you turned out just wonderfully, and all your friends would be pleasantly surprised at the amazing woman you have turned out to be. You could also mention that you had 7 kids. That would blow them out of the water. Never forget mum, what you did back then lead to what you are today. Think of all the knowledge you have brought with you in order to teach us what we need to know! Very good job.
Dad, I like your junior high things as well! You rarely talk about how your life was back then, and it is very interesting to know!
Grade nine? Braces! Oh wait, that was grade 7,8,9,10,11...and the boy I liked asked me to dance only to see if my best friend would want to get pictures taken with him. Yikes! I did beat the silly boy in a Seminary ping pong game--take that!
Jan you are too hard on yourself. "O would some power the giftie gie us, to see ourselves as others see us" I see you as a very pleasant child, teenager and young lady we loved having as part of our family. The "inner demons" if any, did not show so far as we were concerned. You caused us little or no trouble and now that you are grown and a grandmother, you are a source of constant joy and sstisfaction to us.
...to the point of pain. Oh man. That's rough.
Great entry. See my blog. ;)
Post a Comment