Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Word on My Story!

I have been submitting my new stories to publications here and there. But I really haven't been expecting anything. I am used to flat rejections, having sent children's stories around all those years, with successes only once in a while. So imagine my surprise when I got an email today from an interested editor! (When I saw the email address I steeled myself for a rejection.) In my experience it is unusual to get any personal message at all, so it was amazing that she critiqued the thing and offered all kinds of suggestions . . . and asked if I wouldn't mind working on it and sending it again! For me this is great news. Not only is this the first professional critique I've gotten on this new genre I'm trying, but the changes are mostly technical (which is glorious because that means the idea itself is acceptable), and I think all of her suggestions will improve the story. It's like a gift! I don't know if I can calm down enough to work on it -- Cami says she will help. But even if it's rejected in the end, I already have the benefit of the critique and a feeling of encouragement. Yay!

6 comments:

Amber said...

How exciting! Of course they will love your stories, and it is always nice to have another professionals opinion. Great!

Matt said...

YESSSSSS!!!Mom you did it! That is so great! I really like these stories and I know other people will too! Congrats!

-cortnie

Cami said...

YAY!!! I was very busy today, but I'm going to get to the story first thing in the morning and help you work on it. I'm so glad you got some good feedback!!

Emily said...

Nice Mom! I have started reading it you know. I can't wait to read more. I hope everything continues to go well for you and these stories!

mylittlegems said...

that is very exciting!! We are excited to hear further news.

melody said...

Very awesome news! I would love to read your revised version as soon as it is ready.