Thursday, August 16, 2007

Catching the Right Spirit

Drew recently wrote and said to read "The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down," a book that tells about the Hmong people. I have had the book since he left for his mission and this was the motivation I needed to finally read it. Wow. So interesting. Aside from the author's insidious PC, multi-culti, anti-America, anti-Christianity agendas (why can't people write honestly these days?), I was glad to learn about the people. They have to be some of the most desperately in need people in the world for the gospel of Jesus Christ. For instance, the title of the book refers to a bad spirit (a dab) hitting or catching you so you get sick. The Hmong people never had a country, have no written history or written language, fought tyranny and migrated in Asia for centuries, were illiterate (before coming to America in the 70s and 80s), and have been stuck in some really ingrained traditions, some of which we know to be unworthy of continuing such as sacrificing a lot of animals in the hope of receiving help. The good news is (and here is where I differ with the author) that they have the opportunity in America to make progress (from things like earth floors, high infant mortality, and illiteracy), and they place huge importance on family and posterity (they have as many children as they can and cherish them highly). I also found it fascinating that they believe all illnesses (physical, mental, emotional) are rooted to a spiritual problem, and that is that the soul is wandering around lost. I think they may have something there! They also seem to have a problem with pride. Long story short, they helped fight the Viet Nam war so America gave them political asylum and, while the younger generation does extremely well, such as in learning English, the older seems to refuse to assimilate and expects to be supported by the government indefinitely, which isn't good for them or anyone. Granted, their culture is very far removed from America's, but right-thinking people can see that the benefits are worth it. Hey, I figure if these young missionaries can learn Hmong, one of the 3 hardest languages in the world, the Hmong can learn English -- they need to and it seems a small price to pay. Anyway, that's some of what I got from the book. From the photos and stories Drew sends, they are a unique and beautiful people and they do get baptized. That's a miracle.

3 comments:

Cami said...

Yes, I had the same feelings when I read the book. I'm sure it must be hard to assimilate into a completely different culture, but it was hard to read about the problems they faced by being stuck in their ways. It definitely is an interesting language and history. I wonder how Drew does it!

Emily said...

That's nice to you have an insight to the people Drew works with. I agree that they should try to mesh with the Americans and learn our language since they live here. It's hard, but necessary for them to have successful lives. I'd read it if I were into that sort of thing.

Amber said...

Even Grace said she thinks you should have to learn English if you want to be a citizen or live here. I thought it was interesting to learn more about thier background etc. the other day when you were telling me about the book. Weird and interesting.