I feel like Clyde Crashcup. He's a tall cartoon character in a lab coat with a big nose that has a mustache growing out of it (I thought of him for the first time since I was a kid when I noticed my husband needed to trim his nose hairs the other day). He, and his short sidekick Leonardo who only ever whispered in Crashcup's ear, used to be a feature on the old Chipmunks show. He was always enthusiastically trying to invent something that had already been invented like soap or baseball or a wife (whatever he drew came alive) and then terribly messing it up somehow. But he never gave up.

The story I was reworking for an editor has bombed. In her latest email she said I fixed the things she said to fix but created new problems. (I had the feeling I had overcorrected it.) Anyway, I felt I should bow out. She seems to be ambivalent about it which I think is rather unprofessional -- I mean is she running a magazine or not? I have worked on it some more, I think it works, and will send it somewhere else. Where's Leonardo when you need him?
5 comments:
I think it is amazing that you even caught her eye, mum! I still can never understand how writing can come so naturally to you. If flows out of you like... juice flows out of a freshly squeezed Orange! I think your writing is fantastic, and you should keep sending it places no matter what.
What a letdown. Sorry mom. I loved your stories, and some made me squirm a bit.
Yes, this story is a great one. Don't you remember our top secret plan??!!
Sorry about your story. _I_ thought it was rather good.
Also, that is funny about nose hairs since I've been cringing over Jake's lately. Don't they care????? Ugh.
How annoying. At least you decided not to give up on the story all together.
Post a Comment