Tuesday, June 12, 2007

More Than One Way to Read A Good Book


My husband has begun to read. A lot! And the classics. More than he ever has. It is all due to this new little MP3 player that fits in the palm of his hand and the books you download from the internet at librivox.org. Regular people just decide to record a book (it has to be old enough to be in the public domain) and share it with everybody. They do a great job. Steve "reads" while doing yard work, working out at the gym, driving the car, taking his walks. I am so surprised when he says, "Well, I finished such and so, what do you suggest I read next?" It's also kind of cute that he depends on me to suggest a good book. So far he has read:

Uncle Tom's Cabin
Silas Marner
Huckleberry Finn
Helen Keller's The Story of My Life

Right now he is reading Robinson Crusoe which I've had on my own to-read list lately so I am reading it, too. But the old-fashioned way of reading -- holding an actual book in your hands and moving your eyes across the printed page -- is evidently much slower. I can't keep up! Shall we join in a chorus of "I love technology . . . "

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Excellent topic! And, yes, I have been moving through the books quickly. And I'm enjoying them more lately. It took me about 3 months to get through "Uncle Tom's", but since I started my daily one-hour walks, the chapters just fly by. And I get the sense and flow of the book. So, I am "reading" and enjoying more than I have for several years.

Cami said...

You're reading Robinson Crusoe???? Hooray! Now you must read The Moonstone--they sort of go together in a strange sort of way. I'm going to have to check out those free books online!

melody said...

Yes, books that I could listen to would be perfect when I nurse! Perhaps Dad can show me where he finds these books. Good for him!

Matt said...

Hooray for Dad. You brought home "The Pelican Brief" on tape when I was a kid, and I've been hooked ever since. I go through about a book a week or so. I like audiobooks, but I reserve the reading of paper books for book that I'm _really_ interested in. I tend to get more out of reading it with my eyes.

Our country library has hundreds of books on CD, as most do. But they also have an online service where you can "checkout" books online, and download the MP3's. Makes it easy to get them onto your MP3 player. Maybe your local library has something like that?

Lili and Jeff said...

Hurrah for dad! If dad was to ever read classic literature, of course it would be through technology. I love listening to HP on shuffle on my ipod. I try and guess the page and chapter with in the first sentence. I usually can get it before then!

Amber said...

Hey, I should listen while I run so I can finally fit in with this read-a-holic family. I will have everyone know I am on page 112 of Ender's Game. Soon I will be done and then I will read Twilight for Elise. If anyone else have a request for my next book, please let me know!!