Friday, June 8, 2007

Black and White Nights

What are these, you ask? They are evenings when we all get together as an extended family and watch old movies on the big humongous screen. We wanted the kids to see some of the old classics and to enjoy them ourselves. It's really fun to get everybody's reactions to this "ancient art form." We just joined Netflix on Grandpa Scott's recommendation so we have a lot of good ones lined up. Here are the ones we've seen so far that I can remember.

Mr. Blandings Builds His Dreamhouse
Rear Window
Spellbound
African Queen
Roman Holiday
The Trouble with Harry (DON'T SEE THIS, to quote Jefferson)
Mildred Pierce

Coming up is Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (with Gary Cooper).

Also, I have the kids sleep over in the summer once a week (and then we have tennis lessons in the morning) and we watch classic oldishy movies then, too. Last summer we watched:

National Velvet
The Miracle Worker
The King and I
Muppet Treasure Island
Clash of the Titans

Any suggestions?

7 comments:

mylittlegems said...

I love Mr. Blanding Builds his Dreamhouse!

Jonny said...

What was the ever-lovin' trouble with Harry?!

Corinne said...

What a fun idea! I want to try watching some of these movies with my kids :)

Cami said...

HA HA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! Did you just call Muppet Treasure Island an old classic?? You might as well watch Dark Crystal, while you're watching oldishy kid shows.

Remember The Enchanted Cottage? Awesome. Also, Rebecca is fun. Any Hitchcock.

Amber said...

Enchanted Cottage was on the list to be next. I love that one. The other thing is that the old movies are the only ones that all of us can watch together and enjoy without ruining up the kids! Mr. Deeds was a good one!

melody said...

I love our old movie nights. So glad Julia is already getting into some good movies!

Unknown said...

There is a never-ending supply of great movies to watch. The little kids like them when they get into them. And everyone can enjoy and talk about what they mean. Good values and morals in the old stories. I love Black and White nights.