Thursday, May 31, 2007

Out On A Limb

Thank you all for the wonderful comments on my last blog. I am still spending a lot of time in my alternate fictional art world, having kept up my story-a-week deadline so far. I figure I need 12 (they seem to average about 5,000 words) to make up the minimum 60,000 words for this short story collection contest I'm entering due at the end of June. This week I am writing #9 which I am happy to say will have no deaths in it, although there is a severed arm, but it's a fake one -- rubber, you know. Yes, I am really going out on a limb with these stories -- ha ha.

I am still using Flannery O'Connor as my mentor and her works as my inspiration. Here are some of her amazing words she wrote around 50 years ago which I think are a thousand times more true today:

"For me the meaning of life is centered in our Redemption by Christ and what I see in the world I see in its relation to that. I don't think that this is a position that can be taken halfway or one that is particularly easy in these times to make transparent in fiction . . . My own feeling is that writers who see by the light of their Christian faith will have, in these times, the sharpest eye for the grotesque, for the perverse, and for the unacceptable . . . Redemption is meaningless unless there is cause for it in the actual life we live, and for the last few centuries there has been operating in our culture the secular belief that there is no such cause."

4 comments:

Cami said...

Thank you for that creepy arm picture. It will keep my up at night. I really will get to reading ALL your great stories. Keep up the good work!

Corinne said...

This is very humorous because just on Sunday I was reminding Clint about those very funny arms when he accidently shut Xavier's fingers in the window of our car. He's fine, of course :)

Emily said...

I like the excitment I hear in your voice when you talk about your new style of writing. I will get around to reading them. I can't believe you are already on #9. Good luck on the rest.

Unknown said...

Spooky . . . an arm for an award. I mean, geesh. Is there no end to the dumb stuff people will do in the name of honoring someone?