Monday, May 7, 2007

Bleak House


I haven't blogged for a while in case anyone's noticed but I've been writing other stuff which I'll blog about later. For now here's a heads up on a great Masterpiece Theater series which, sorry to say, will show its 4th and final episode next Sunday. It's a drama of Charles Dickens' Bleak House made in 2006 and exxxxcellent. Jonny and Melody came over after church yesterday and after we played Scrabble (yay, at last), after Jonny made brownies with hidden secret cinnamon bears which he was so disappointed nobody got in theirs, and after we went to visit Grandmother, I told them the whole story to get them caught up. It wasn't easy since I read the book about 30 years ago when Amber and Matt were little and I missed the first two episodes myself and there are so many many characters such as the mysterious Lady Deadlock, the unfortunate young Esther, the grasping Mr. Guppy, the villianous Tulkinghorn, the visionary Miss Flight, the angelic Ada, the wicked Mr. Smallweed, etc. Jonny and Melody became riveted nevertheless -- when the 2 hours were up Jonny freaked out that we have to wait a whole week for the final installment. Don't miss it, that is if you like trying to puzzle out things that are already mysteries as is! Surely they'll be showing it again soon.

6 comments:

melody said...

Yes, it was captivating! And Jonny will be on pins and needles until he finds out what happens . . . he already has a few theories.

Unknown said...

That Chuck Dickens! He's some storyteller. How to keep all the characters straight . . . boggles the mind. And the names! He was quite inventive, to say the least.

Jonny said...

Grrr… that Talkinghorn character really irked me. Anyway, it really is a great flick. Great characters like Lady Dreadlock and Mr. Voles. I get too excited thinking of it… SHAKE ME UP, JUDY!

Cami said...

Awwww, I wanna see it! I wonder if it will be on again soon. I'll check my Tivo . . .

Janice Graham said...

Jonny, I laughed for a solid minute at your comment.

Unknown said...

I will have episodes 2-4 on DVD soon, so I can send a copy to you.