I have been neglecting my internet interactions lately because I am involved with a writing project that seems to have me preoccupied. In all my little writing career I have never had such a creative and productive adventure. I am writing a series of short stories, which thing I never thought I'd do and never knew how to do and never thought I could do. Of course I've also been reading and studying the masters. That's another thing I've never done -- appreciated short stories. Now I think they are really neat. These little stories I am writing (I've got five done so far, although they are still works in progress) are I think the most artistic and daring things I've ever written. I now see this is what I've been wanting to do all along, through all the journal writing, all the newspaper articles, all the children's magazine stories, all the nonfiction books. But I couldn't do this before now. I had to go through all the other stuff in order to get here. Crazy! In fact, I feel a little like a mad scientist, conjuring up these stories. They are not pretty. But I actually like them. I like the characters, flawed and tragic as they are. When I start getting freaked out I remember I made them up, they aren't real, it's just a story! I have been trying to write something like this for a long time, but I never had anything to say. I feel like I do now, which is exciting. I always scoffed when I read how writers say their characters take on a life of their own and start to do what they do and the story sort of writes itself. But now I see that in a sense they do!

Here are a few writing rules that seem to be working for me:
1. have a daily routine (I've been getting up early and writing for some hours every day)
2. start with a character, not an idea (this is where I got hung up before)
3. use a primary dramatic event to move the story's meaning (this is the crazy part)
As the master Henry James said, (not that I compare myself to him -- yike), "We work in the dark--we do what we can--we give what we have. Our doubt is our passion and our passion is our task. The rest is the madness of art."
Moo-hoo-waa-haa-haa-haaaaaaaa!
10 comments:
I am standing by, amazed at the work you are doing. Stay downstairs in the mornings working on my computer, while you work on yours in your studio (aka Drew's room). The funny thing is you'll be working away for hours, and then say, amazedly, that the story just ended. Without warning. It has a life of its own, and even though you thought it would go on for more pages, it had other plans. And you let it have its way. After all, who are you to tell your story what to do . . .
I am going to have to copyright that Moo hoo wa ha ha ha ha line. I believe I was the first to spell it out. Anywho, as a writer who has TRIED short stories and miserably failed, I applaud your amazing stories. I think you are doing great, and you characters do funny things while you're not paying attention!
I am glad you are having so much fun with these stories. I will read them all, just pass them along!
I like that quote. "We work in the dark--we do what we can--we give what we have." Lets just hope what we have is enough.
Julia loved the H. James quote. I thought it was gobbledegook. Continue your postings and potions, you mad scientist, you.
Wwen do we get to read the short stories. Did reading Somerset Maugham have anything to do with this?
Sounds like a lot of fun. And remember sister Graham - you promised that you would name one of your characters my name? (maiden name) well... in case you can't think of a name... you can use mine. :)
I can't wait to read them! I am always amazed by the short story, how one is able to wrap things up in a satisfactory way.
I love short stories! Almost as much as poetry. (This is Heather C from the Nook, in case you were wondering...) The short story genre is the core of the Latin American literary tradition, but I think it is sadly neglected in our British-American tradition. So, good for you! I love the H. James quote, too!
One of my favorite short-story writers (see, we don't even have a proper term for them in English--in Spanish they're "cuentistas.") Anyway, one of my favorites is Saki. Of course, O'Connor is amazing too.
There are lessons to be learned from the stories...like you could get dead or vegetabled (just kidding!)! I like short stories because there isn't a lot of flowery descriptions, you have to get right to the point. I think they are perfect for mothers who's eyes get tired when they read and who's house is generally a mess so they can't commit a lot of time to reading. It is fun to read and finish a story in one sitting--good for you and your new found love!
Post a Comment