Monday, July 7, 2008

When I Can't Means I Don't Want To

Thanks for all the encouraging words about the math I am doing. A little update: I just finished chapter 11-- graphing and solving linear equations. The test took me almost 2 grueling hours. But I passed it. Phew. I was really discouraged last night but I guess a new day gave me some courage.

During the test (which I was taking at home online) I took a bathroom break and found myself babbling, "I CAN'T do this. I just CAN'T." And suddenly I realized what I really meant was, "I DON'T WANT to do this. It's just so hard and I hate doing it."

I suppose there are many things we can't do because of various limitations. Like, I can't reach my top kitchen shelves because I'm too short to reach them. It's just physically impossible. I have to get a chair or stool which is a bit annoying. But there are lots of things we can do but we say we can't because we don't want to. Such as math.

The truth is, if we aren't honest with ourselves we won't make the distinction between what we really can do and what we refuse to do. We'll use that phony excuse, "I can't" just because we're lazy or it's difficult or it will take a long time. We hear that sort of thing a lot these days . . .

Ouch. The truth hurts.

3 comments:

melody said...

This post full or truth sounds a little like some of Grandpa's. Yes, Mom, you CAN do it. And I admire you for doing something you so desperately don't want to do. Keep it up, it's not easy. (Reminds me of my pregnant, long, tired student teaching days. As you told me, "You can do anything for 4 months." I did! Thanks for encouragement)

Drew said...

Ugh, this is SO true. Lately people have been arguing with me online saying that something I have done is impossible to be done. My very existence threatens their entire worldview. But just because you don't WANT to do something doesn't mean it can't be done. It's just laziness, oh, and indulgence of sin.

Keep up the good work, Ma, you're an inspiration to us all.

Unknown said...

Yes, it is hard, might take a long time, and not be very fun, but you can generally do it. Attitude, and all. You don't have to turn out to love everything you're assigned, but you should be able to be on equable terms with it, eh?