Friday, December 14, 2007

Netflix Misfits?

Okay, my husband is not allowed to pick the movies anymore. Netflix makes it too easy to pick any old thing. You haven't invested a car trip. You're not handing money across a counter. You're not thinking about actually watching the thing. You just make an impulsive looks-interesting list one day and then movies get sent to you.

To me, watching a movie is a big investment of time. I want it to be worthwhile. So, I was all psyched up for "The President's Analyst." It turned out to be a silly, disjointed, psychadelic 60's film, a true child of its time with so many references to that crazy decade. But I have to admit the premise was clever. James Coburn, a tall, versatile actor from those days with a HUGE toothy smile, is a psychiatrist who gets drafted into being the president of the United States' personal psychiatrist. Of course he has to attend to him at all hours, learns more than he wants to know about world problems, and becomes completely exhausted. He also starts to imagine spies are everywhere. So he decides to escape. So then the "CIE" and the "FBR" and every foreign spy agency is after him to get him or kill him because of the info he has. He runs into hippies and crazy ordinary Americans.

Hmm. I guess it was pretty funny after all. Thanks, honey!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I gotta admit it was kind of funny, and kind of silly. But, considering that we had just watched a documentary on the hippie movement of the late '60s, it was interesting from an anthropological point of view. But they were satirically looking at their own time, and so it was kind of fun from that stand point. But I agree you have to be careful when choosing those period pieces. I was interested, because I had seen the movie myself 40 years ago (1967, for the mathematically challenged), and had remembered it as being funny. I guess I was half right.

Lili and Jeff said...

I am glad you are expanding your horizons mom. Sometimes impulse movies are the best. Don't pass them up.