Monday, November 5, 2007

Who's that nerd snorkling in the swimming pool?

It's me! Okay so I decided to try out my mask and snorkel at the gym pool. (I saw somebody do it once so I'm not the only one.) And it was great! I have a really nice set I got when I was certified for SCUBA. It was so nice not to have to gasp for oxygen all the time, to just glide along in the quiet water, the only sound the sound of my breathing. It seemed like I was able to concentrate better on my stroke and kicking and the half hour seemed to go faster. I recommend it! And no, I didn't use my fins. I figured I would get to the ends of the pool too fast and have to turn around too often. Although some say it's a good workout for your legs. Maybe I'll try it. I see people using them and paddle-dealies on their hands, too. They multi-lap me! What we swimmers need is more space, a nice wide warm lake or ocean (with no sharks or any other biting or stinging creatures) so we can be destination oriented instead of the endless back and forth. Oh well, it's still nice to be in water and great exercise.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I watched you snorkeling in the pool as I walked from one workout machine to the other. Looked like you were having a good time. I agree that it would be fun to live near the ocean. You could swim 15 minutes one way, then come back. Nice.

Emily said...

You silly mom. I love that you did that. I want to someday tune out the world and do whatever I want without thinking about my surroundings. I'm always up for a way to make the workout more enjoyable.

Cami said...

That's pretty cool. I don't even use goggles, but that causes problems. It would be nice to use that with a nice breast stroke and just relax. How lovely.

Amber said...

You are such a funny Mom. My triathalon friend said that the fins really do make you work harder. It doesn't seem like they would, but she said her heart is really pumping! Try and see!

melody said...

Ha! I love it. Why not!? Someday I will venture off to that gym with you. Maybe I can borrow Dad's snorkel and we can be nerds together.

Lili and Jeff said...

I think it is a good idea. It may be a little more strange over in these parts with all the college people, but still, tis a good idea.

mylittlegems said...

I'm glad you suggested that- since I avoid swimming because I am not graceful at the breathing thing. I will have to get mine out and try it.