I am keeping up with my goal to read a book a week this year. One thing I am really enjoying is short story collections. I first fell in love with these when I first read Flannery O'Connor a few years ago. Her stories are incredibly unique and I love what she was about and I love her stories.I read them repeatedly. I have just finished The Distracted Preacher and Other Tales by Thomas Hardy and Edith Wharton's Roman Fever and Other Stories. Wow! These stories are great, too. I found the Hardy stories a little tongue-in-cheek and some even funny (not all dark and sad like his novels which are great) and the Wharton stories satirical and clever. All with twists and surprises. Beautifully written. Can read each story one or two sittings. Evidence of great minds.
I am inspired to work on my own little collection of stories that have been sitting around. As Annie Dillard said, "When I see the Rembrandts I want to paint."
Saturday, March 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Aren't they great! All the bang of a novel in a few minutes time. Hooray for short stories!
I should get into them more. Since I fall asleep after not too many pages, they may be just the thing, eh?
I still have one of your Somorset Maugham books. I love to read a story out of it once in a while. Plus I think of Grandpa when I do.
Since you and Dad BOTH recommended Mark Levin's book, I'd love to borrow your copy and read it next. Thanks for the offer.
Post a Comment