Monday, August 31, 2009

Who's Horatio Hornblower?


Good video ahoy!

A friend of Emily's brought over a basketful of books and videos for her to peruse while on bed rest gestating her fast-growing triplets. On the nights I've been at her house, as opposed to the hospital (KC and I trade off), I've started on a set of DVDs which I'm really enjoying. It's a series called
Horatio Hornblower. He's the fictional hero in the novels by C. S. Forester. More than great high seas adventures, the stories are full of drama and conflict and moral dilemmas inherent (no doubt) to the lives of dutiful and noble-minded British naval officers in the late 1700s. So far, the movies are riveting!


Ernest Hemingway said, "I recommend Forester to everyone literate I know."

4 comments:

Drew said...

I've known about HH for ages, I'm surprised I've never put you in front of it. I'm glad you like it.

melody said...

Never heard of him! But I am sure Jonny and I would enjoy it. Thanks for the tip!

Cami said...

EM Forester? Or CS Forester? I've never heard of this CS. Hmmm . . .but I HAVE heard of HH. Tres interesant. Very fun.

Jules said...

I love those movies! I have the first 6 (I don't care for the last 2). Horatio Hornblower was my life when I was 17.