Monday, August 31, 2009

A Slow Carriage Ride Through . . .


I've done it! I finished William Makepeace Thackeray's LONG novel Vanity Fair. It took me all summer (although I did read other books besides). The second volume seemed to go quicker than the first. It was great! Everyone should read it. It's just as applicable now and it was in the 1800s. Thackeray was a genius. And it was not nearly as heavy as I imagined it would be. It was light and funny. Hilarious names like Dickens's, as in Lord Bareacres and Lady Stunnington. Ha-ha. Even the tragedies were not really sad because it was all so tongue-in-cheek. What a rollicking in-depth study in all aspects of human nature! Perhaps everyone can identify with some part of some character. Personally, I kept finding myself in the fearful, weak, selfish Amelia Sedley, but not, thank goodness, in the unscrupulous, conniving, selfish Becky Sharp!

Now to watch all the Vanity Fair movies.

P.S. No wonder my Grandpa Ellsworth loved this book.

1 comment:

Cami said...

Oh, I love it. It is truly a masterpiece, that is true.