Saturday, June 12, 2010

Triplets, Twins

Needles
Pins
Triplets
Twins
What goes up the chimney?
Smoke
Now our wish will never be broke.

This is a little verse my mother used to say if, when walking along side by side with a friend, they got temporarily separated by a pole or person or something. And so I have raised my kids saying it, too, and making wishes. Funny that Emily now actually has triplets, and twins (her boys are identical twins, too). Not to mention, she is a twin, also.I am having a great time reading the hilarious A Series of Unfortunate Events (that didn't sound right) which contains some triplets. These two children, who are triplets but whose one triplet sibling is not with them, get sad and frustrated when anyone calls them twins. Of course they are not twins but triplets, even though there are only two of them that you can see. So the author is always referring to the Quagmire siblings as "the two triplets" or "both of the triplets" which sounds so funny but is true.

I find myself sometimes referring to Alex and Bennett as the twins, and I see that this is unacceptable. They are triplets as much or more so than they are twins. They are triplet twins, or twin triplets, or triplets who are also identical twins. Ruby is forever their triplet and they are forever hers. The boys are even triplets to each other. This relationship can never be broke(n). So I will never call them just twins ever again.

Speaking of twins, here are some rare-ish photos (from Matt -- are these from videos?) of my twins as babies, maybe 5 or so months old. I didn't have my own camera until they were about 3 so there aren't hardly any casual pictures like this of any of my kids except Lili as babies; we have to watch the videos. (Thanks to Matt and Cortnie who put them all on DVDs!) What were we thinking???
Every day I'm so grateful Emily and KC's fondest wish came true. They got a baby at last, well, actually three. Having multiples is a lot of extra extra work, but I know they feel wonderfully blessed and thankful most of the time for each dear one. I did too.

5 comments:

Drew said...

YAY, great pictures! Love the Quagmire triplets, and love the Robinson triplets even more! I knew Emily and KC would one day get their wish. I want to see them again! And those fat babies!!!

Emily said...

Thanks mom! We are so happy with our little, or I guess big, family! They are so precious and I love them more everyday! (And eventhough I haven't read them, I hate that part of those books-that one of the triplets died. So sad.) Anyway, I hope we see you soon! We all miss you so bad!

Cami said...

I've NEVER said that triplets twins thing. Ah, the two Quagmire triplets. Sad. Yes, I thought you'd like that part. Don't listen to Emily who hasn't read the books and yet tries to give some spoilers.

melody said...

Abby Mitton is continually frustrated when she is left out. When people see the boys in their wheelchairs, they ask if they are twins. Allison says, "No, they are triplets." Then people say. "Oh! Where is the third?" Abby rolls her eyes and says, "I'm right here."

Emily said...

Sorry if I was giving spoilers. I have no idea about the actual details. It was just a conclusion I drew from what mom's blog said/what mom has told me. Pardon me.